Skip to Content

City Vision College: Financial Aid, Federal Loans & Grants

Loans & Pell Grants Procedures
Steps to Apply for Financial Aid
Other Forms of Financial Aid
Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Program

Federal Student Aid: Loans & Pell Grants Procedures

City Vision College has been approved by the US Department of Education to participate in Title IV federal student aid programs for those in our degree programs.  Students may qualify for Pell grant and/or federal loan programs.

For students who qualify for the current maximum Pell grant , an institutional scholarship will be given to cover their tuition costs for full-time attendance.  To be considered full-time, a student must participate in 30 credit hours in a calendar year - or two courses in each of the five terms. Those who take one course per term qualify as half-time students.  (This does not include the costs of textbooks which student must purchase on their own. )

Note: New students will not be awarded Federal Student Loans until they have successfully passed at least one term.

Also note that the Pell grant has the following requirements:

  • There is no age limit for federal student aid
  • Students must be pursuing their first bachelor's degree. 
  • Males must be registered with Selective Service.
  • Individuals with a student loan in default or have a balance at another school that is past due will not qualify.
  • Lifetime Pell Eligibility limits a student to 600% of Pell funds. (This is regarding to how many years a student can be eligible to receive Pell funds.)

Students can estimate their financial aid at: Some students use the following estimates for other expenses for their estimate: off-campus room and board $7,000; Other $500.

For Federal Student Loans, students will be initially offered a loan equal to the direct cost of attendance for the school - that is, the cost of course tuition plus $100 for textbooks.Applicants must follow these procedures:

Federal Aid: Step 1

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the school year in which you plan to attend. If you have already completed a FAFSA, update it to add "City Vision College" to your list of colleges. (School Code: 041191)  After completing the FAFSA, you will be given the amount for the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

Please note: if your EFC is above 5081 you will not qualify for the Pell grant and anything above 0 but less than 5081 means that you will receive a partial Pell grant and will be expected to contribute some of your own funds toward your tuition expenses.

Also note that you will be required to complete a Master Promissory Note if you wish to receive federal student loans.

Federal Aid: Step 2

The following documentation is necessary to apply for federal student aid, including Pell grants. Once your FAFSA has been received by the college, an email will be sent out from our Virtual Financial Aid Office requesting that you complete these documents. If you are older than 24 you are considered an independent student. If you are under 24 please, see the section below the required documents to determine if you are an independent or dependent student.

Independent Student:
1. Signed copy of Student's Federal Income Tax Return
2. Student's W2 Forms
3. Federal Loan Promissory Note Signed Online (if applying for student loans)
4. Student's Government issued ID
5. Asset Value Worksheet - Independent *
6. Independent Verification Worksheet *

Dependent Students:
1. Parent(s)' W2 Forms
2. Parent(s)' Federal Income Tax Return
3. Student's W2 Forms
4. Signed copy of Student's Federal Income Tax Return
5. Federal Loan Promissory Note Signed Online (if applying for student loans)
6. Student's Government issued ID
7. Asset Value Worksheet - Dependent *
8. Dependent Verification Worksheet *

Dependency is a technical definition determined by the government not by City Vision College. For a full list see page 3 of this document. Students are considered dependent of their parents unless they meet at least one of the criteria listed in the linked document. Below is a summary of the most common criteria to be an independent student, but there are a few others.

If you have questions please refer to the linked document and/or contact the financial aid department. Note that parental income is factored into the student’s estimated family contribution for dependent students.

  • Being born before January 1, 1990 (for 2013-2014 academic year)
  • Married or separated (but not divorced)
  • Student has a child and the child receives more than half of their support from the student
  • In foster care, ward of the state, or both parents were deceased any time after the age of 13.
  • Student is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces (See link for full definition)

Forms marked with an asterisk (*) must be downloaded from the VFAO site here:

Contact the college for more information on submitting these items to our financial aid office.  We recommend that they be submitted through the VFAO site at Documents may also be faxed to us at (816) 256-8471.

Federal Aid: Step 3

The college will notify you by email of your award amount.  You will then need to go into the Virtual Financial Aid Office to either approve the full award amount, reduce the amount, or decline the award. Once you have enrolled and registered for courses, the funds for tuition will be sent directly the college. In order to remain eligible for federal student aid, you must comply with the college's policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress

Other Forms of Financial Aid

Private Loans - Some students may be eligible for private programs.  See a list of available private student loan programs.

Payment Plans - In certain circumstances, students may arrange a payment plan with the business office.  Normally, this involves paying half of tuition at the beginning of the term and, then, paying the second half in the middle of the term. Contact the college for more information.

Internship Program -  We have a network of over thirty urban missions throughout North America that host student interns. During their time of service and learning, these ministries provide housing and meals free of charge and pay for students' City Vision College tuition for up to one year. Follow this link to learn more about the Internship Program.

Veteran's Educational Benefits -  The degree program is approved for educational assistance benefits for qualified veterans and their dependents under programs administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For application and enrollment procedures, call toll free at 1-888GIBILL1 or visit the VA educational web site. City Vision College does not participate in the V-RAP program for veterans.

Workforce Investment Act  - WIA is the nation’s principal workforce development program providing funds to address the employment and training needs of dislocated workers, low income adults and youth. The funding for WIA comes from the Federal Department of Labor. WIA provides support to participants to increase their education, training, employment, job retention. The ultimate goal is to improve the quality of the workforce, reduce dependency, and enhance the productivity and competitiveness of the nation. Contact your local office to apply for WIA educational funding.

Vocational Rehabilitation  - City Vision College is a qualified institution for vocational rehabilitation in many states. Contact your local agency for more information.

AGRM Discount & Scholarships - A 25% discount is available to students who work with ministries that are members of the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions  

International Student Discount - A special discount of 25% is available to students who enroll in City Vision College and study outside of North America.

AmeriCorps Education Award - AmeriCorps Members who choose to take the education award can see instructions on how to use it to pay for City Vision classes.

Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Program

Students who take out federal direct student loans may receive loan forgiveness of their remaining loan balance if they work at a 501c(3) registered nonprofit or a governmental institution for 10 years and make 120 on-time, full, scheduled, monthly payments. To maximize loan forgiveness under the PSLF Program, students should repay their loans on the Income-Based Repayment (IBR) PlanPay As You Earn Repayment Plan, or the Income-Contingent Repayment (ICR) Plan, which are three of the repayment plans that qualify for PSLF, and which generally require lower amounts to be paid back each month.

For more information about this program, visit Since many of our graduates work at urban ministries, addiction recovery programs, or rescue missions, this program could be a valuable asset for long-term financial stability.