Course MAT101: College Algebra
College Algebra (3 credits)
This course provides students with a working knowledge of college-level algebra and its applications, emphasizing methods for solving linear and quadratic equations, word problems, and polynomial, rational, and radical equations.
Students in this course perform operations on real numbers and polynomials, and simplify algebraic, rational, and radical expressions. Course material also examines arithmetic and geometric sequences and discusses linear equations and inequalities. Students also learn to graph linear, quadratic, and absolute value, and piecewise-defined functions. They solve and graph exponential and logarithmic equations. Other topics include solving applications using linear systems, and evaluating and finding partial sums of a series.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites for College Algebra.
College Algebra Course Objectives:
After completing this College Algebra course, students will be able to:
- Perform operations on real numbers and polynomials.
- Simplify algebraic, rational, and radical expressions.
- Solve both linear and quadratic equations and inequalities.
- Solve word problems involving linear and quadratic equations and inequalities.
- Solve polynomial, rational, and radical equations and applications.
- Solve and graph linear, quadratic, absolute value, and piecewise-defined functions.
- Perform operations with functions as well as find composition and inverse functions.
- Graph quadratic, square root, cubic, and cube root functions.
- Graph and find zeroes of polynomial functions.
- Perform vertical and horizontal shifts and reflections of a basic graph.
- Perform stretches and compressions on a basic graph.
- Transform the graph of a general function.
- Graph quadratic functions by completing the square, using the vertex formula, and using transformations.
- Solve and graph exponential and logarithmic equations.
- Solve systems of linear equations and inequalities.
- Model and solve applications using linear systems.
- Evaluate and find partial sums of a series.
- Evaluate and find sums of arithmetic and geometric sequences.
- Solve application problems involving arithmetic and geometric sequences and series.
- Solve applications involving the various types of equations and inequalities.
Textbook: Not Yet Determined