- Contact: mtm [at] cityvision [dot] edu
- Call with Skype
Course 503: Vocation, Calling and the Purpose of Work (Theology of Work and Personal Calling in the STEM Professions)
Professor: Dr. Kevin Yoho
This course will help students to understand the purpose of work and a Christian understanding of vocation. Students will gain a better understanding of their unique identity and purpose in their vocation. They will also refine their understanding of calling or vocation might be and how it fits into God’s purposes and a Christian worldview. They will then create a synthesis of the above understandings into a reflective life plan.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand a Christian worldview of vocation and communicate how that applies toward their own life and calling.
- Utilize tools to be able to identify, reflect on and articulate what their calling or vocation might be and how it might be leveraged for God’s purposes.
- Understand and be able to articulate their unique identity and vocation, and how to communicate that through their personal brand and life strategy.
- Understand the unique issues facing Christians in their fields and how to manage their career in the current marketplace.
- Create a synthesis of the above understandings into a reflective life plan that shows a mature reflection and vision of your life calling as well as a plan to grow and achieve that vision.
|Keller, T. Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work (Reprint edition.). Riverhead Trade (2014). 336 pages. ISBN #978-1594632822||$9.99 (Kindle version)|
|Hoffman, R., & Casnocha, B. (2012). The Start-up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career. . New York: Crown Business. 272 pages. ISBN: 9780307888907||$11.84|
Rath, T. (2007). StrengthsFinder 2.0. (1 edition.). New York: Gallup Press. 183 pages ISBN: 9781595620156 Note: you must purchase a new book as only new books come with the code to complete the StrengthsFinder test. If you have already completed the Strength Finder Inventory, then you do not need to complete it again.
|Stevens, R Paul. The Other Six Days: Vocation Work and Ministry in Biblical Perspective. Wm B Eerdmans. 2000. 289 pages. ISBN #978-080284800||$14.85|
|Tieger, P. D. (2014). Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type. (5 edition.). New York: Little, Brown and Company.||$14.51|
|Rees, E., & Warren, R. (2008). S.H.A.P.E.: Finding and Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose for Life. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Zondervan. 256 pages. ISBN: 9780310292487||$12.46|
|Guinness, O. (2003). The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life. Nashville, Tenn: Thomas Nelson. 268 pages. ISBN: 9780849944376||$8.99|
|Warren, R. (2004). What on Earth Am I Here For? Purpose Driven Life. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan. 65 pages. ISBN: 9780310264835||$0.99|
|Peabody, L. (2010). Job-Shadowing Daniel: Walking the Talk at Work. Denver, Colo.: Outskirts Press. 204 pages. ISBN: 9781432753306||$9.99|
|Total Cost of Course, including Books (at Full Price)||$937.63|