The first five books of the Old Testament are commonly called the Pentateuch. They tell the story of the nation of Israel from creation to preparation for the conquest of the Promised Land. But is the Pentateuch simply the historical account of God’s chosen people? Or is it something more? This course continues the foundation laid by The Pentateuch, Part one and picks up with the Life of Abraham, finishes out the book of Genesis, and concludes with the book of Exodus.
This course is in part based on the lecture series, The Pentateuch, produced by Third Millennium Ministries and hosted by Dr. Scott Redd with contributions from a variety of professors.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate evangelical views concerning the authorship, historical content and purpose of the Pentateuch, especially Genesis and Exodus.
- Articulate the unique contribution of the Abraham, Jacob and Joseph narratives in Genesis as well as Exodus to the overall message of the Pentateuch.
- Summarize the structure and major themes of the Abraham, Jacob and Joseph narratives in Genesis and Exodus as well.
- Describe the intended impact that Genesis 12-50 and Exodus would have made on Moses’ original audience as they prepared to enter the land of Canaan.
- Apply the stories of Genesis 12-50 and Exodus within the context of the inauguration, continuation, and consummation of God’s kingdom.
- Make proper use of Genesis 12-50 and Exodus in corporate worship, discipleship ministries, and personal/family devotions.
Moodle Login and Syllabus
Course Materials & Tuition
|Video lecture series used||Free|
|Alexander, T. D. (2012). From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch (3rd Edition). Baker Academic. ISBN: 978-0801039980||$15.24|
|Allis, O. T. (1951). God Spake by Moses: An Exposition of the Pentateuch (1St Edition). P & R Publishing. ISBN: 978-0875521039||$8.00|
|Bartholomew, C. G., & Goheen, M. W. (2014). The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story (2nd Edition). Baker Academic. ISBN: 978-0801049569||$13.73|
|Robertson, O. P. (2017). The Christ of the Covenants. P&R Publishing. ISBN: 978-0875524184||$8.49|
|Vogt, P., & Jr, D. M. H. (2009). Interpreting the Pentateuch: An Exegetical Handbook. Kregel Academic & Professional. ISBN: 978-0825427626||$14.75|
|Total Cost of Course||$435.21|