The first five books of the Old Testament are commonly called the Pentateuch. They tell the story of the nation of Israel from creation to preparation for the conquest of the Promised Land. But is the Pentateuch simply the historical account of God’s chosen people, or is it something more? This course explores the books of Genesis through Deuteronomy, examining why they were written, what they meant to their original audience, and how we should respond to them today. This course is based on the lecture series, The Pentateuch, produced by Third Millennium Ministries and hosted by Dr. Scott Redd with contributions from a variety of professors.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the evangelical view of the authorship, historical content and purpose of the Pentateuch.
- Articulate the unique contribution of the Primeval History (Gen. 1-11) to the overall message of both Genesis and the Pentateuch.
- Summarize the structure and major themes of each of the main sections of the Primeval History.
- Describe the intended impact that the Primeval History would have made on Moses’ original audience as they prepared to enter the land of Canaan.
- Apply the stories of the Primeval History within the context of the inauguration, continuation, and consummation of God’s kingdom.
- Make proper use of passages within the Primeval History in corporate worship, discipleship ministries, and personal/family devotions
Moodle Login and Syllabus
Course Materials & Tuition
|Video lecture series used||Free|
|Alexander, T. D. (2012). From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch (3rd Edition). Baker Academic. ISBN: 978-0801039980||$15.22|
|Jr, R. L. P. (2000). Designed for Dignity: What God Has Made It Possible for You to Be (2nd Edition). P & R Publishing. ISBN: 978-0875525082||$6.00|
|Collins, C. J. (2011). Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?: Who They Were and Why You Should Care. Crossway. ISBN: 978-1433524257||$9.99|
|Collins, C. J. (2018). Reading Genesis Well: Navigating History, Poetry, Science, and Truth in Genesis 1-11 (Illustrated Edition). Zondervan Academic. ISBN: 978-0310598572||$24.99|
|Robertson, O. P. (2017). The Christ of the Covenants. P&R Publishing. ISBN: 978-0875524184||$9.99|
|Total Cost of Course||$441.19|