Modern evangelical theology is flooded with conflicting viewpoints. Many of these disagreements arise between denominations, while others arise within denominations and individual churches. The apparent hopelessness of reaching theological unity has even led some Christians to deny the value of theology altogether. With so many different ideas competing for our loyalty, how are followers of Jesus to determine what to believe? And how committed should we be to specific doctrines and traditions? This course is based on the lecture series, Building Your Theology, produced by Third Millennium Ministries and hosted by Dr. Vincent Bacote with contributions from a variety of professors.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Introduce viewers to the proper nature and purpose of theology.
- Promote a new love for theology so that viewers will become excited about doing theology that flows from the Scriptures and changes their hearts and lives.
- Persuade viewers to make changes in their lives as they respond to the teachings of this course. We want to change the way viewers do theology and analyze theological expressions, taking into account the aspects of orthodoxy, orthopraxis, and orthopathos.
- Equip graduate level viewers to use this series to do one of the following in an 8 page research paper:
- Option #1
- Defend a doctrine of theology that is taught in their cultural context by taking into account the aspects of sola scriptura, orthopathos, orthopraxis, and orthodoxy.
- Option #2
- Refute a doctrine of theology that is taught in their cultural context by taking into account the aspects of sola scriptura, orthopathos, orthopraxis, and orthodoxy.
- Option #1
Moodle Login and Syllabus
Course Materials & Tuition
|Video lecture series used||Free|
|Allender, D. B., Longman, T., & Tada, J. E. (2014). The Cry of the Soul: How Our Emotions Reveal Our Deepest Questions About God (New Edition). NavPress. ISBN: 978-1576831809||$9.00|
|Bridges, J. (2018). The Discipline of Grace. NavPress. ISBN: 978-1631468728||$8.67|
|Carson, D. A. (1996). Exegetical Fallacies (2nd Edition). Baker Academic. ISBN: 978-0801020865||$9.99|
|Total Cost of Course||$402.66|