Practically speaking, the Holy Spirit is the person of the Trinity who is most involved in our daily lives, but many Christians know far more about the Father and the Son than they do about the Spirit. In this series we’ll discover how the doctrine of the Holy Spirit developed historically, and we’ll explore the Spirit’s dynamic work in the world, in the church, and in believers. This course is based on the lecture series, We Believe in the Holy Spirit, produced by Third Millennium Ministries and hosted by Dr. Ramesh Richard with contributions from a variety of professors.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Summarize and describe the development of the doctrine of the person of the Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments and his place in the Trinity. Develop the capacity to equip God’s covenant people to.
- Articulate a defense of the biblical doctrine of the full deity of the Holy Spirit, as well as his personhood, with skillful exegesis of relevant biblical passages. Demonstrate an ability to communicate this doctrine to audiences with various backgrounds and in a variety of social and cultural contexts.
- Describe the impact of the Spirit’s work in the life of the church, both in term sof the covenant grace offered to the church as a whole, and in terms of the grace offered specifically to believers.
- Identify areas for both personal growth and ministry in the church, including both prayer and the ministry of the word (Acts 6:4) and incorporating the need for growth in the fruit of the Spirit and the utilization of the spiritual gifts of those within the local congregation.
- Analyze and evaluate summaries of scriptural teaching on spiritual gifts from various orthodox traditions, and explain how each would impact the worship and witness of the Church.
- Develop strategies for the worship of the church, Christian discipleship and evangelistic outreach that depend on the work of the Spirit with understanding of the Spirit’s work in the world, in the church, and in the life of believers.
Moodle Login and Syllabus
Course Materials & Tuition
|Sinclair B. Ferguson, The Holy Spirit, Contours of Christian Theology Series (IVP, 1996), 255 pages.||$19.20|
|D. A. Carson, Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14 (Baker, 1987, repackaged 2019), 248 pages.||$13.00 (paperback)
|Total Cost of Course||$562.52|