Skip to Content

Academic Policies & Procedures

Standards of Academic Integrity

To remain enrolled, all City Vision University students must comply with the Standards of Academic Integrity, described here.

Credit Hour Policy

City Vision follows the the Carnegie Unit requirement of “one credit is equivalent to 45 hours of student work". Thus, a three (3)-credit course incorporates approximately 135 hours of student work.

Requirements for Good Standing & Academic Probation

The academic policy of City Vision University is designed to meet ultimately the graduation requirement of a "C" average (2.00 GPA) on all work taken through the university, or accepted via transfer from other institutions.

To remain in good standing, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average according to the number of credits completed at City Vision University, or accepted via transfer. The unit of credit is the semester hour.

The following minimum grade point averages apply to associate's degree students;

  • Up to 15 credits         1.50 GPA
  • 16-30 credits              1.70 GPA
  • 31 credits and above  2.00 GPA

The following minimum grade point averages apply to bachelor's degree students: 

  • Up to 30 credits           1.50 GPA
  • 31 through 59 credits   1.70 GPA
  • 60 through 89 credits   1.85 GPA
  • 90 credits and above    2.00 GPA

Graduate students must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA throughout the course of their studies.

To review City Vision University' Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, which applies this standard specifically to students receiving financial aid, click the link below:

Academic  Probation

Students who fail to earn the grade point average indicated above will be placed on Academic Probation for the next 6 credits of study. Students who are on Academic Probation and whose term achievements show substantial improvement but whose cumulative GPA is still just below the appropriate GPA for their Credits Completed level and thus would be subject to Academic Dismissal may instead be placed on Probation Continued status at the discretion of the Academic Dean.

Policy on Repeated Withdrawals for New Students

If a new student (who has not passed any City Vision courses) has withdrawn from six or more City Vision courses, they must either wait a year or complete a course at another school before they can sign up for courses again.

Grades and Grade Point Averages

Each course is given a final grade with the number of quality points per credit hour assigned as follows:



Quality Points


















































Students may repeat courses in order to earn a higher grade and more quality points.The credits will be counted only once, and the grade earned the second time will supersede the earlier grade. The record of the earlier grade will remain on the transcript, although it will not enter into the computation of the grade point average.

For more details on how the GPA is calculated, see here.

See the "Dropping Courses and Grading" policy for information on incomplete courses.

Academic  Honors

Graduation honors are awarded for academic work performed by the student during his undergraduate program. Honors will be conferred as follows:

  • Summa cum Laude 3.90 or above
  • Magna cum Laude 3.75 to 3.89
  • Cum Laude 3.60 to 3.74

The grade point calculation is made on all credits earned from City Vision University and transfer credits.

Course Registration Deadline

Students must register for courses before or on the first day of classes. Students may request an exception to register for courses after the first day of the term during the first week. Later course registrations are allowed only in exceptional circumstances, but not beyond the second week.

Dropping Courses and Grading

Students should drop courses using the official drop request form.

Students have until the end of the 5th week of the term to drop courses (34 days after the first day of courses) and receive a mark of "W" for the course. The drop date for a course will be counted as the date on which the student last submitted any graded assignment or forum, based on the date of when the assignment was submitted (not when it was due).

If a student stops participating in a class or the class forum before completing the fifth week and does not present a withdrawal request, then they will be marked as having withdrawn on the last day they submitted an assignment. 

Courses that are dropped by the end of the second week of classes do not appear on the transcript.  Courses dropped before completing the 5th week result in a mark of "W”, and will not count toward GPA calculations.

If a student stops working on a course after the 5th week, they will receive credit for all work already submitted. If the result would be a failing grade, it will be recorded as failing as a "WF". Otherwise, it will be recorded as the appropriate passing letter grade. This grade will appear on the transcript and figure into the overall GPA.

In exceptional cases students may petition to withdraw from a course with a grade of "W" after the 5th week. Such petitions are rarely approved.

The names of students who have officially withdrawn from a course before the 5th week will appear with a pre-assigned mark of W in the Final Grade column.  Also note that a student may not withdraw without penalty from a course in which they have committed an academic integrity violation – if the student chooses to withdraw, he/she will receive a “WF” for the course.

Attendance Policy

Students’ attendance in City Vision University courses will be evaluated at least every 14 days. Because this is an online program, attendance is based exclusively on the date of submission of coursework which would receive a grade, such as a written assignment, class forum post, or quiz.  Simply logging into the online classroom is not counted as attendance; neither is simply sending a message to a professor.

If a student has not attended a course, by the definition above, within the past 14 days, it will be determined whether the student is withdrawn from that course.

If a student could not submit gradable work in the past 14 days, this determination will be made on the following basis:

1.    Communication with the instructor or staff and/or

2.    A review of their course progress and grade by Student Services staff assessing the student’s ability to successfully pass the course.

3.    How late the student’s current assignments are, based on their due dates.

Students may be notified weekly by City Vision if they are late in submitting assignments. If they are at risk of being dropped from their course, they will be emailed detailed expectations on what they need to do to continue in the course. If they do not meet these expectations they will be dropped unless granted an extension by the President or Dean that requires specific goals to be met.

If it is determined that the student should not be continued as enrolled, then the student’s Date of Determination of Withdrawal will be no greater than 14 days after their Last Date of Attendance.

Last Date of Attendance Policy

The Last Date of Attendance is defined as the last date on which course work is submitted (such as a graded written assignment, class forum post, or quiz).

If a student fills out an official form to withdraw from the institution, his or her Date of Determination of Withdrawal will be the date of submission of that form. If he or she does not fill out a withdrawal form, the Date of Determination will be no greater than 14 days after their Last Date of Attendance, as stated above unless the students do not continue attending in the following term.



Late Assignment Policy

Week Eight is the last class session with assignments posted.  All course work must be completed by the student and submitted to the instructor by the end of the week after the course ends (the ninth week since the start of the course).  No credit will be given for work submitted after this date, unless the student is granted an extension on the course, as described below.  This policy applies to weekly assignments, as well as examinations and final projects, unless the exams specifically give students until the 9th week to complete it.

Course Extension Policy

Applications for extension must be submitted via the online extension request form no later than two days before the course ends.

Extension requests should only be made if you are not going to finish a course before it officially ends. If you need an extension on a specific assignment, you should contact your professor directly.

Extensions are typically granted only for exceptional circumstances, such as an illness that would prevent you from doing course work at this time, or the death of a family member.

Course extensions will only be granted if you have completed at least half of the assignments in a course.

While you are working to complete a course for which an extension has been granted, you can only take a maximum of one additional course.

In order for a course extension to be approved, you and your professor must agree upon a date by which you will have completed all the remaining assignments in the course.

Course extension requests will be reviewed by your professor and the Academic Dean for your department.

No course extension may be granted beyond the start of the next term unless approved by City Vision’s president.

Special consideration will be given in the case of the Technology and Social Entrepreneurship Capstone Project. Contact the MTSE Program Director for more information.

Incomplete Grades Policy

Incomplete grades are assigned at the discretion of the instructor, with consultation from the Academic Dean and other academic staff as needed. When incomplete grades are issued, the student will be informed as to how they may be resolved and the timeframe for resolution. If the student does not meet the agreed upon timeframe, the grade will be converted to whatever grade the student would have received based on the work completed up to that point.



Leave of Absence

Students may request a leave of absence by emailing registrar [at] cityvision [dot] edu and dean [at] cityvision [dot] edu. The student must state their reason for the leave of absence, and supply any appropriate documentation. Leaves of absence may be for no more than 180 days.

Class Levels by Credits

  • Freshman: 0-30 credits
  • Sophomore: 31-60 credits
  • Junior: 61-90 credits
  • Senior: 91-120 credits