City Vision Online Adjunct Faculty Application
Do You Have a Passion for Mentoring Leaders Serving the Poor, Addicted and Underserved?
Then you might be a good fit to be online faculty with City Vision University. We are looking for people who:
- Have experience in either in addiction counseling or in nonprofits serving the poor (like rescue missions, Salvation Army, etc.)
- Have a passion for education and learning
- Have at least a Master’s degree in a field related to the courses they might teach
Online Adjunct Faculty Application
Summary of Faculty Expectations
It is expected that an online faculty member will model a personal commitment to the goals and values of City Vision University, engage in an active commitment to and experience of personal spiritual formation within a biblically-informed Christian worldview, and follow lesson plans developed for the course they are facilitating.
City Vision offers five eight-week terms. While time required by adjuncts varies by course, typically most courses will require 10-15 hours per week per course (about 1 hour per week per student).
For full details of expectations, please read our Adjunct Faculty Contract.
- Minimum earned Master’s level degree or equivalent in area of teaching (doctorate/terminal degree for teaching Master’s courses)
- Official transcript(s) required for all relevant degrees and/or licenses from an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or accreditation in your home country recognized in the U.S.
- Online teaching experience is strongly preferred
- Relevant practitioner experience in relevant industry/ministry strongly preferred
- Ability to pass background check or two non-relative references (one faith-related, one academic) if requested.
- Must be a Christian actively attending a church and able to support City Vision’s statement of faith.
- Pay. $50 per student (undergraduate) completing each eight-week course ($75/student for graduate courses) with a guarantee of at least $400. Most of our courses have between 10 to 20 students completing, which would provide $500 to $1,000 per term.
- Tuition Discount. We provide a tuition discount to faculty members and their immediate family, so courses are only $500/course (undergraduate and graduate).
Given our focus on serving the poor, many of our faculty view their services as a “ministry” and view their positions as part volunteering, recognizing that the pay is below what some schools with higher tuition pay adjuncts. This has enabled City Vision to be the 16th most affordable Christian college in America with our Business degree being the lowest-cost online Christian business degree in America. This has also enabled us to offer discounts so that our tuition is only $5,000 to developing countries and partners and $5,950 to Rescue Mission and Salvation Army staff and veterans.
About City Vision University
City Vision University is an online-only, Christian university with the goal of transforming lives through radically affordable online education. The school provides Bachelor’s Degrees in Business Administration, Addiction Studies, Nonprofit Management, and Missions, Christian Ministry & Leadership, an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration, and an MBA. It is a program of the Christian nonprofit TechMission, and was originally founded in 1998 by the Association of Gospel Rescue Missions. It has been growing at an average of 15% per year since 2008. We have 20+ adjunct faculty practitioners. The school’s values are in the evangelical social justice tradition although we serve students from all denominations as well as non-Christian students. For more information visit: www.cityvision.edu
TechMission/City Vision hiring practices and EEO Statement are fully in compliance with both federal and state law. Federal law creates an exception to the “religion” component of the employment discrimination laws for religious organizations (including educational institutions), and permits them to give employment preference to members of their own religion. City Vision is in this category.
Our Mission is to use online education to transform lives through Jesus, Justice and Technology.
City Vision was initially founded to provide online Christian education to staff at evangelical organizations serving the poor as well as their program participants. While this still remains a core focus, we have since expanded to also provide Christian education to students pursuing nonprofit and counseling careers. See our Statement of Faith.
We promote Justice through radically affordable, practical education focused on addressing the needs of the poor, addicted and underserved.
We use Technology in our cost-effective, disruptive innovation, lean startup approach to online education. We are pioneering a new model that could increase access to Christian higher education by tenfold or more, especially to the poor and the developing world.
Recognition and Awards
Statistics with Nonprofits and Ministries
History of City Vision
City Vision has roots and history that span rescue missions, Christian community development, the Salvation Army, evangelical ministries, Christian recovery and the Black church traditions. All of these traditions inform our values and core organizational DNA. We also have a rich history of innovation from our leadership’s involvement in co-founding a MIT research group with one of the fathers of the Internet, involvement in the 90’s dot-com boom and leading disruptive innovation in higher education today.
City Vision is founded as the
education arm of AGRM
called Rescue College.
TechMission is founded out of a Black church ministry PREP and the Christian Community Development Association movement and develops a partnership network of 500+ education programs in urban ministries.
Rescue College is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission with a Bachelor’s degree completion program in Missions.
TechMission launches UrbanMinistry.org and ChristianVolunteering.org which grew to have 100,000+ open educational resources and became the third most visited website among Christian organizations serving the poor.
Rescue College becomes a part of the Christian nonprofit TechMission and was renamed City Vision College.
City Vision College starts
programs and becomes
City Vision University.
City Vision’s leadership co-founds the Christian Higher Education Innovation Alliance with 100+ leaders with the vision of expanding Christian higher education to the poor and developing world.
City Vision launches free, non-credit Massive
Open Online Courses in Education Management
in partnership with the Christion Higher Education Innovation Alliance with over 7,000 users.
Find Out More
Goal 1: Christian Social Service Education: to provide affordable, practical education enabling Christian leaders to transform the lives of the poor, addicted and underserved with continuous innovation.
Goal 2: Radically Affordable and Free Education: to use disruptive innovation to provide free educational content and radically affordable programs to diffuse innovation and best practices for Christians serving the poor and increase our global presence.
Goal 3: Human Capacity: to recruit and develop faculty and staff so they can provide effective education to our students, further our mission and pursue their own calling.
Goal 4: System Capacity: to provide effective accounting, finance, technology and administrative support to City Vision University’s programs and services in a way that reflects our values and achieves our mission.
Goal 5: Financial Capacity: to secure significantly increased resources and expanded enrollment enabling City Vision to add new programs, expand existing programs and further our mission.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God and through it we are called to live out justice, reconciliation and redemption. We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential and that the church nurtures God’s people gathered as a community to carry out God’s Word.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
City Vision University is a “doing business as name” of the 501(c)(3) nonprofit ministry, TechMission. They are essentially the same organization with the same staff, board, finances, etc. TechMission previously had programs other than City Vision, but now it is essentially our only program. TechMission is incorporated in Massachusetts, whereas City Vision University is based out of Kansas City, Missouri.