CVC 106: Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio Development
Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio Development
(credits awarded vary - minimum 0, maximum 30)
This course will help students learn the theory behind prior learning assessment and to develop a portfolio for prior learning assessment. Completion of this course enables the student to have up to 30 credits evaluated for prior learning assessment based on the portfolio developed in this course.
Note: In addition to other graduation requirements, all students must take at least 10 courses at City Vision in order to graduate. Prior Learning Assessment only counts as 1 of those courses, regardless of how many credits are earned as a part of a student’s Prior Learning Portfolio. Prior learning credits may satisfy requirements in the major or general education. Any additional credits beyond the first 3 that are earned count the same as if they were transfer credits.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize and describe the role of prior learning assessment in achieving their unique educational goals and those of adult learners in general
- Identify specific areas of competency which they have acquired through life learning experiences, both formal and informal
- Evaluate and choose specific college courses that align with their college‐level learning and competencies
- Identify and collect various forms of documentation that verify their learning competencies
- Write a learning narrative which demonstrates the context and nature of their learning using Kolb’s model of experiential learning
- Develop and organize a learning portfolio using the appropriate formatting and technology
Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (2012). Earn College Credit for What You Know (5 edition.). Chicago; Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall Hunt Publishing. ISBN: 978-0757596919. 232 pages.
Purchase eBook for $15.70