This course helps students gain the learning and habits needed to get and stay healthy. This course uses the Daniel Plan, which is a book and program developed by nationally renowned doctors Dr. Mark Hyman and Dr. Daniel Amen, with one of the top pastors, Rick Warren at Saddleback Church. The Daniel Plan integrates the five key elements of faith, food, fitness, focus, and friends. You will learn how to implement this program, which has been used in thousands of churches and organizations, both for yourself and in a group for others.
This is not just a course for learning about health, but actually practicing healthy habits. You will commit yourself to your own health goals to implement a 40 Day Health Plan (see Goals Worksheet). You will also do personal and spiritual reflection on the topics of this course and your progress toward your goals (see Health Learning Journal). Topics covered in this course include: Spiritual Foundations for Health, Food and Nutrition, Fitness, Stress Management, and How Physical Health Affects Mental Health and Addictive Tendencies. The ultimate goal of this course is to train you to be able to achieve long-term change in yourself and others toward more holistic health.
This course requires four live Zoom meetings.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Reflect on the Biblical basis for focusing on physical health.
- Value and prioritize more highly your personal health in order to improve life balance.
- Develop and follow a nutrition plan to develop healthy eating habits.
- Develop and follow a fitness plan to develop healthy fitness habits.
- Track progress toward a 40-day food and fitness plan you will follow in this course with the support of classmates and faculty.
- Develop strategies to address barriers to changing health habits for yourself and others, including soliciting support of friends and minimizing negative influences
- Improve your mental and emotional well-being by creating margin needed for health, managing stress and following healthy habits.
- Synthesize your learning and experience of implementing your 40-day health plan in this course to develop a long-term personal health plan.
Course Materials & Tuition
|Powers, S., & Dodd, S. (2019). Total Fitness and Wellness (8th edition). Pearson.
|Warren, R., Amen, D., & Hyman, M. (2013). The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life
(First Edition). Zondervan. ISBN: 978-0310344292. 352 p.
|Total cost of course: (Includes cost of textbooks)