Standards of Admission

The following are our academic admissions requirements.

Certifying Academic Eligibility

Undergraduate students may certify their academic eligibility either:

1) by providing any of the following items of documentation:

a)    A copy of a high school diploma.

b)    A copy of a final, official high school transcript that shows the date when the diploma was awarded.

c)    A copy of a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or GED transcript that indicates the student passed the exam.

d)    Certification of a passing score on a test that the student’s state authorizes and recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma. This includes tests similar to the GED, such as the High School Equivalency Test or the Test Assessing Secondary Completion. A test transcript is also acceptable if it indicates that the final score is a passing score or that the student’s state considers the test results to meet its high school equivalency requirements.

e)    A copy of the “secondary school leaving certificate” or similar document from the proper government agency for students who completed secondary school in a foreign country.

f)     An academic transcript that indicates the student successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree at any participating school, such as an associate’s degree program.

g)    A copy of a secondary school completion credential for homeschool (other than a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent), if state law requires homeschooled students to obtain that credential.

h)   A transcript or the equivalent, signed by the parent or guardian of a homeschooled student, that lists the secondary school courses the student completed and documents the successful completion of a secondary school education in a homeschool setting, if this is acceptable proof according to state law.

2)    When allowed by federal regulations, by completing an online self-certification form of their high school graduation or equivalent indicating the institution name, city, state, and year of graduation, which is electronically signed.

For students enrolling in the master’s program, the university must receive an official college transcript indicating the receipt of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by the time the student has completed one regular semester or 12 credits of the program (whichever comes first).

At the beginning of their first term and before they take their first proctored exam, students should:

  1. Email a copy of a government-issued photo ID to Students may either scan in their ID or take a photo of it with a digital camera or smartphone. The ID submitted must be legible, valid, and unexpired as of the student’s start date.

  2. Select an exam proctor and have him or her be approved by the organization. This is needed for both undergraduate and graduate students.

College or university transcripts must be official copies from the institution. Electronic copies should be sent directly from the institution to Physical copies should be mailed from the institution to: City Vision University, 1100 E 11th Street, Kansas City MO 64106-3028.

Additional Admissions Policies and Information

All students must be accepted by City Vision University through the admissions process.  Students that are accepted are done so provisionally and are not considered fully matriculated students until they have successfully passed 18 credits worth of courses with City Vision University for undergraduate students (9 credits for graduate students).
Prospective students whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an appropriately accredited institution where English is the principal language of instruction must demonstrate college-level proficiency in English through one of the following for admission: 
  1. Undergraduate Degree: A minimum score of 500 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), or 61 on the Internet Based Test (iBT), a 6.0 on the International English Language Test (IELTS), or 44 on the Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report, or 2.8 on the Duolingo test, or a high school diploma completed at an accredited/recognized high school (where the medium of instruction is English).
  2. Master’s Degree: A minimum score of 530 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), or 71 on the Internet Based Test (iBT), a 6.5 on the International English Language Test (IELTS), or 50 on the Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report, or 3.8 on Duolingo test.
  3. A minimum score on the College Board Accuplacer ESL Exam Series as follows: ESL Language Use: Score of 85; ESL Listening: Score of 80; ESL Reading: Score of 85; ESL Sentence Meaning: Score of 90; ESL Writeplacer: Score of 4; Comprehensive Score for all exams of 350.
  4. A minimum grade of Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam;
  5. A minimum B-2 English proficiency level identified within the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) standards and assessed through various ESOL examinations, including the University of Cambridge;
  6. A transcript indicating completion of at least 30 semester credit hours with an average grade of “C” or higher at an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Secretary of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or accepted foreign equivalent that is listed in the International Handbook of Universities where the language of instruction was English. A “B” or higher is required for master’s degree, first professional degree, or professional doctoral degree.

High school students may also enroll in City Vision University for dual enrollment credit. As per our accreditor’s policies, these students may only enroll if it does not interfere with their high school studies. 

Dual enrollment students do not qualify for financial aid, and thus are not required to submit the documentation of high school graduation or equivalent which is required of other students. Rather, they are admitted on the basis of a signed letter of approval from their parent(s) or guardian(s) granting permission and verifying that taking college courses will not interfere with their high school education.

This letter should be sent to the registrar’s office via fax at 816-256-8471, email to or by mail to City Vision University, 1100 E 11th Street, Kansas City, MO 64106-3028.

Beginning in the 18-19 aid year, students that have been flagged as having “Unusual Enrollment History” in their financial aid application will have 14 days to supply documentation resolving the Unusual Enrollment History flag, or else they will be ineligible for financial aid, pending appeal to Exceptions may be made to the 14 day deadline for students that are affiliated with a partner organization that provides an advisor to the student.

To see more details on this policy, and on the types of documents that may be requested, visit the Unusual Enrollment History policy and procedure page.

City Vision University does not discriminate in its admissions because of race, sex, color, creed, age, religion, or national origin or any characteristic protected by law.

City Vision University courses are delivered totally over the Internet. Some courses have on-site requirements, however, that require access to the operations of a ministry or nonprofit.