This course trains students in a method of Biblical interpretation that enables them to read the Scripture faithfully according to its original audience meaning and apply it appropriately for their own ministry context and social location. The course also discusses the cultural and historical background of the Scripture and describes the genres of Biblical literature. Student work will focus on a Bible interpretation paper and talk for which students will select a particular passage of Scripture and apply it for their context.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Articulate why a deep understanding of Scripture is necessary for personal spiritual growth and ministry success.
- Practice a multi-step grammatical-historical method of Biblical interpretation, including application.
- Reflect on how Scripture reading can be a spiritual discipline, including use of the ancient method of lectio divina.
- Interpret the primary genres of Scripture, with sensitivity to the distinctions between them.
- Reflect on how your social location affects how you interpret the Bible in ways that enable you to identify blind spots and have a more complete understanding of the Bible that promote your own growth as well as your ability to serve cross-culturally
- Deliver an inspirational Bible talk using a proper Biblical interpretation method, providing applications targeted at the needs of a particular audience
Course Materials & Tuition