This course serves as an overview of counseling theories used in mental health counseling and psychotherapy. It will address each key theory’s history, techniques, strengths/limitations, research and application. It will provide students with the opportunity to explore faith integration with counseling theories and approaches. Students will also define their own theoretical approach to counseling and future work.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the core concepts of counseling theories in order to incorporate relevant strategies and techniques of the theory in the future practice of counseling. (Quizzes)
- Describe the importance of having a commanding knowledge and understanding of a specified theory in order to incorporate ethically relevant strategies and techniques of the theory in the practice of counseling. (Week 1. Assignment 1, Assignment 2 & Discussion)
- Differentiate counseling strategies and techniques of the prescribed theory used in counseling individuals and groups. (Theory Assignments Weeks 2-7, Week 7. Assignment 3)
- Apply distinct strategies and techniques to case examples consistent with the philosophical underpinnings of the prescribed theory as well as demonstrate effective application of the fundamental components of the counseling process in a prescribed theoretical orientation to counseling. (Case Assignments in Weeks 2-7)
- Evaluate prominent theories of counseling and psychotherapy for compatibility to biblical teachings. (Discussions, Week 8. Assignment 1)
- Evaluate key theories of counseling and psychotherapy identifying its strengths and weaknesses, diversity implications and relation to Christian worldview. (Week 8. Assignment 1)
- Integrate prescribed theoretical orientations to counseling into one’s unique counseling approach. (Week 8 Assignment 2)
Course Materials & Tuition
|Corey, G. (2020). Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Enhanced (10th edition). Brooks/Cole. ISBN: 978-0-357-67142-9.Schwitzer, A. M., & Rubin, L. C. (2014).
Diagnosis and Treatment Planning Skills: A Popular Culture Casebook Approach (2nd edition). SAGE Publications, Inc. ISBN: 978-1-4833-4976-3.
Tan, S.-Y. (2022). Counseling and Psychotherapy: A Christian Perspective. Independently published. ISBN: 9798812331177.
|Total Cost of Course||$914.12|