Course BUS105: Business Communications
Students taking this course will gain practical experience in workplace communication. They will practice common types of business writing, such as the memo, letter, and report. They will also review their basic writing skills to gain greater mastery of grammar, mechanics, and style.
Furthermore, this course introduces students to the strategies successful business professionals employ to handle a variety of situations. Students will learn techniques for writing informational, persuasive, sales, employment, good news, and bad news communications. They will also learn how to analyze their audience effectively to communicate both inside and outside of their organization.
Finally, students also will gain deeper knowledge of how technology, such as the Web and mobile devices, can improve business communication today. By the end of this course, students will know how to use email and videoconferencing tools appropriately in the business context.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites to take Business Communications.
Business Communications Course Objectives:
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate with an example the importance of communication to business.
- Using audience analysis adapt a message to the audience.
- Write business messages and documents with clarity and precision.
- Use the you-viewpoint and positive language in writing to build goodwill.
- Organize and write clear business e-mails and letters.
- Write positive messages that are well-structured and direct.
- Compose tactful and courteous negative messages.
- Use persuasive strategies to compose a variety of persuasive messages.
- Show how to research and organize information in a report.
- Organize and write a short report or a proposal.
- Prepare a well-structured, long, formal report.
- Create different kinds of textual and visual graphics and apply the guidelines of page designing to a report.
- Prepare and organize an effective formal presentation.
- Describe what one can do to effectively communicate across cultures.
The required text (Business Communication for Success, no ISBN) is included as a e-book available from your login to the course.