This course will examine the urban context and the church’s opportunity for successful and sustainable youth programs that earn the right to have a transformative impact on youth, their families, and social and community systems. Students will be introduced to the theory and practice of holistic youth development. By nurturing an excitement about meeting and building transformational relationships with young people, students will be equipped to develop indigenous, asset-based, student-led, programs and services for youth who call the city their home.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Evaluate contemporary global urbanization and the city as a sacred place where youth and religious, social, political, economic, and cultural life converge.
- Reflect upon their own personal and professional experiences in the urban youth context and integrate them into a narrative about their theology of urban ministry.
- Examine youth culture and needs through the lens of technology, digital media, anthropology, sociology, psychology, theology.
- Discuss the impact of major issues dominating the urban scene and the mission agenda of the church including social media, music and entertainment, justice, law enforcement, multiculturalism, poverty, immigration, and educational and employment inequity.
- Evaluate successful and sustainable youth ministries and how they achieve effectiveness using case studies and programs proximate to the student’s context.
- Develop an asset-based, student-led, contextually relevant, culturally engaging, transformational ministry with young people.
- Explore the implications of digital media for youth development strategies.
- Foundations of Community Youth Development
- Empowering Authentic (Student-Led) Student Leadership
- Holistic Strategies: Introducing 40 Developmental Assets
- Sustainable Supports: Cultivating Community Assets
- Beyond Service: Restoring Justice to Youth Development
- Developing Leaders on your Team: Mentoring Matters
- Cultural Remix: Engaging the Hip Hop Generation
- The Generation Changing the World
Course Materials & Tuition
|Arzola, Fernando. Toward a Prophetic Youth Ministry: Theory and Praxis in Urban Context. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2008. Print. (ISBN-10: 0830828028 ISBN-13: 978-0830828029)||$20.00|
|Fields, D., & Warren, R. (2013). Purpose Driven Youth Ministry: 9 Essential Foundations for Healthy Growth. (ISBN-10: 031069485X, ISBN-13: 978-0310694854)||$7.49 (Kindle)|
|Total Cost of Course||$777.49|