This course covers the nonprofit startup process and board development. The course centers around a final project where the student 1) completes or reviews nonprofit startup documents, 2) writes an executive summary board development best practices based on course materials, and 3) develops a comprehensive board manual.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Complete the legal steps needed to start a nonprofit organization and describe the importance of those legal documents.
- Provide recommendations based on a Christian model for board leadership based on the unique needs of faith-based organizations.
- Write an executive summary of the following aspects of nonprofit and ministry boards: role summary, recruitment, governance, risk management, fundraising and relation to staff.
- Evaluate an organization and board based on governance best practices and provide recommendations.
- Create a Nonprofit Board Manual that includes Board Member Orientation, Expectations, Board Policies and Organizational Background.
Available to undergraduates with 90+ credits and a 3.0+ GPA.
Course Materials & Tuition
|Total Cost of Course||$767.06|
This class requires working with a nonprofit organization, ministry or NGO where the student will need to interview the Executive Director to collect extensive information to put into a New Board Member Manual.