This course will examine the urban context and the church’s opportunity for successful and sustainable youth programs that earn the right to have a transformative impact on youth, their families, and social and community systems. Students will be introduced to the theory and practice of holistic youth development. By nurturing an excitement about meeting and building transformational relationships with young people, students will be equipped to develop indigenous, asset-based, student-led, programs and services for youth who call the city their home.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
1. Articulate a vision and philosophy of urban youth ministry.
2. Identify needs and focus areas for your youth ministry based on 40 youth developmental assets and other models.
3. Develop youth ministry programs for each five tiers in the Purpose Driven Youth Ministry model: Community, Crowd, Congregation, Committed and Core.
4. Design a plan to recruit and support youth ministry leaders.
5. Develop a plan for ensuring your youth ministry stays healthy in the long-term.
6. Create a comprehensive plan for your youth ministry synthesizing all learning from the course.
Course Materials & Tuition
|Arzola, Fernando. Toward a Prophetic Youth Ministry: Theory and Praxis in Urban Context. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2008. Print. (ISBN-10: 0830828028 ISBN-13: 978-0830828029)||$20.00|
|Fields, D., & Warren, R. (2013). Purpose Driven Youth Ministry: 9 Essential Foundations for Healthy Growth. (ISBN-10: 031069485X, ISBN-13: 978-0310694854)||$7.49 (Kindle)|
|Total Cost of Course||$777.49|