This course is intended to be an introduction to understand rescue missions and similar ministries that serve the homeless and addicted and to develop the skills and attitudes needed to serve effectively.
This is an “onramp” freshman level course intended as a first course or early in their studies with City Vision. This course was originally designed to target graduates of rescue mission recovery programs and new interns/staff at rescue missions, but it could be helpful for others with a passion to serve the homeless and addicted in a Christian ministry.
This course requires the following:
- Weekly attendance at a live video conference Every Thursday 11:00-12:30 Central Time.
DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND THAT TIME.
- Having a supervisor or mentor (see mentor qualifications & expectations)
Do not register for this course unless you can meet the above requirements.
CVC 102 Introduction to Rescue Missions and Ministry Serving the Homeless & Addicted is part 1 of a two part course series. Students are also encouraged to follow this course with CVC 103 Introduction to Rescue Missions and Ministry Serving the Homeless & Addicted 2.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the purpose of rescue missions and similar ministries.
- Explain the effect of worldview on ministry.
- Describe poverty from a local perspective, national perspective and God’s perspective.
- Reflect on how spiritual disciplines help you prepare for ministry.
- Apply the concept of boundaries to identify boundaries needed to ensure margin in ministry.
- Describe the importance of developing character, integrity and morality in ministry.
- Describe the importance of understanding clients and the impact that shame and trauma might have in interactions.
- Identify ways to be more effective in showing respect to clients.
Course Materials & Tuition
|Minor, Lorraine (2016) Called to Serve, Servant Leadership Jesus Style. Kansas City, MO RescueMissionBooks, 199 pages ISBN: 978-0-9968312-0-8||Provided in course materials|
|Alcorn, R. The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance. Multnomah; Edition Unstated edition (January 1, 2003). ISBN-13: 978-1590520659||$8.88 (Hardback) or $10.99 (Kindle)|
|Total Cost of Course||$758.88|