This is a practice-based course in which students will apply the concepts learned throughout the degree program by participating in an internship. The primary course objective is to serve as a means of practicing skills and applying theoretical learning in a clinical position. When applicable the course is customized to meet the requirements of the certification board in the student’s state. Attention is also given to personal and professional growth in preparation for serving in a counseling role.
It is the responsibility of the student to secure a site through which they may complete the required practicum internship hours and a clinical supervisor that meets the requirements in their state to provide clinical supervision. Learn what more about certification requirements in the various states.
Note: Because the goal of this practicum is to align with the requirements for certification in the states in which they reside, the hours may be modified to conform with their requirements.
- Must have 60 credits (unless granted a waiver by Academic Administration. You can request a waiver by emailing email@example.com)
- Signed agreement with Qualified Supervisor with supervisor approval. You can send your supervisor our email template linking to the contract, and then send the signed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ADC101: Introduction to Christian Addiction Counseling
- ADC202: Family Issues & Recovery
- ADC302: Case Management
- ADC303: Introduction to Psychology and Counseling
- ADC403: Addiction Counseling Assessment and Treatment Planning
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Analyze the Core Counseling Competencies for addiction professionals and practice each in the work setting.
- Gain practical experience working in a clinical setting and receiving clinical supervision.
- Reflect on your experience in a journal receiving supervisor feedback.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the TAP 21 Eight Practice Dimensions and Twelve Core Functions of Addiction Counseling in a supervised setting.
Course Materials & Tuition
|Phelps, L. (2016). Intervention, Treatment, and Recovery: A Practical Guide to the TAP 21 Addiction Counseling Competencies (2nd edition). Kendall Hunt Publishing.||$64.64|
|TAP21: Addiction Counseling Competencies.||Free|
|Total Cost of Course:||$814.64|