This course presents a biblical view of trauma, suffering, and healing. It also covers how to provide Christian counseling to those who have experienced trauma. The course will cover individual differences in response to trauma, factors that affect these differences, symptoms and various types of trauma. Theories and types of trauma, assessment of trauma, steps of trauma counseling including: establishing safety, processing trauma and resolution are also included.
The course also examines the connection between trauma and addiction, and how this relates to a need for a trauma-informed recovery approach. Personal application is provided in examining effects of secondary trauma. The student will briefly examine their own level of personal trauma, current level of healing, and next steps needed to address any lingering effects of personal trauma.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the Biblical view of pain, suffering, trauma, and healing.
- Assess individual differences in response to trauma, as well as factors including resilience, culture, and environmental factors that affect these differences.
- Describe symptoms of various types of trauma and trauma related disorders and the process of assessing these symptoms.
- Explain various theories of trauma and trauma related disorders as well as how these disorders are assessed and treated.
- Analyze the connection between trauma and addiction, and the importance of a trauma informed approach for recovery.
- Explain the impact of personal trauma, current level of personal healing, and next steps for working through personal trauma history.
Course Materials & Tuition
|Gingrich, H. D. (2020). Restoring the shattered self: A Christian counselor’s guide to complex trauma (2nd ed.). IVP Academic.||$24.99|
|Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Trauma-informed care in behavioral health services. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 57. SAMHSA.||Free PDF|
|Total Cost of Course: (Includes the cost of buying textbooks)||$774.99|