This course serves as an overview of the chemicals that are commonly being abused in our current society. It will address the classes of drug and the effect of each class of drug. It will discuss the common methods of administration, the speed of transmission to the brain and the neurological impact on the brain. There will also be a brief look at the treatment continuum of care.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Learn how psychoactive drugs are classified.
- Gain historical perspective on drug use, misuse, taxation and regulation.
- Understand how the brain processes psychoactive drugs.
- Review theories of addiction and how heredity and environment impact addictive behavior.
- Learn the general effects of psychoactive stimulants, depressants and other drugs of abuse.
- Learn how compulsive and addictive behaviors affect the brain’s reward pathways in much the same way as drugs.
- Learn prevention concepts and methods as they have developed through history.
- Understand the principles and goals of effective treatment.
- Review drug specific treatment and treatment for specific populations.
Course Materials & Tuition:
|Inaba, D. & Cohen, W. (2014). Uppers, Downers, and All Arounders. 8th Edition. Cns Productions; 8 edition (August 15, 2014) ISBN: 978-0926544390||$99.75 (paperback)
|Total Cost of Course: (Includes cost of textbooks)||$775.97|