This course serves as a step-by step approach to treat clients with substance use disorders. While many students want to jump right to the “counseling” stage, several steps must be performed including screening, assessment, and treatment planning before “counseling” can even begin. Each of these areas will be detailed with specific steps, which fall into the total scope of practice for the addiction professional, including an emphasis on proper documentation. This course also addresses the clinical thinking skills required in professional counseling settings. Fully revised to include DSM-5, the text discusses diagnosis, case conceptualization, treatment planning and the interplay of various clinical tools and their application.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- List and implement various methods of beginning and maintaining the therapeutic alliance.
- Select and implement various screening and comprehensive assessment instruments that will be sensitive to the client’s needs and best determine client pathology and severity of addictions.
- Summarize findings from the implementations of the screening and assessment instruments into a narrative format.
- Plan and document the proper course of treatment for individual clients which will include identifying and defining the client’s problems and devising goals, objectives, and interventions to help return the client to normal functioning.
- Understand clinical thinking skills required for diagnosis and treatment planning.
- Learn how to utilize the DSM-5 in assisting with client diagnoses.
- Learn a process of case conceptualization that includes identifying problems, grouping those problems into themes, and selecting a theoretical approach for treatment and counseling.
- Learn how to design a custom treatment plan for diverse client presentations.
- Review a “popular culture” caseload to implement and reinforce learning concepts.
Course Materials & Tuition:
|Perkinson, R. R. Chemical dependency counseling: A practical guide (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, 2011. ISBN-10: 1412979218 or ISBN-13: 978-1412979214||$130.37 (new paperback)
$29.92 (used paperback)
|Diagnosis & Treatment Planning Skills: A popular culture casebook Approach (DSM-5 updated)(2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications, Inc; June 13, 2014. ISBN-13: 978-1-4833-4976-3||$66.55 (paperback)
|Total Cost of Course||$802.41|